This site is primarily focused on the 1227, which, while it was perhaps the most iconic Anglepoise, was by no means the first.
Most information on the web will tell you that the first was in fact the Anglepoise 1208. This is a little misleading because while it is the first lamp produced by Herbert Terry and Sons, and thus the first to carry the Anglepoise name George Carwardine actually briefly produced a version of the lamp under his own company name: ‘Cardine Lamps’ first.
I have been unable to find an official name for this lamp so lets just call it the Equipoise (as this is what George Cawadine waned to name the Anglepoise originally): This early version was produced in the early 1930’s at George Carwardine’s own premises in Bath,prior to his collaboration with Herbert Terry and sons of Redditch.
The First Anglepoise or The Equipoise Lamp:
While it looks similar it is not a 1208 and 1209 as these models refer to the Terry and sons catalogue system and therefore to later lamps. There are in fact quite a few subtle differences from the later Terry 1208-09 models :
- Instead of the familiar Herbert Terry and sons, Redditch stamp a plaque denoting it as Cardine accessories, Bath is present.
- The shade, while a similar size has a slightly different profile, thinner and less rounded than the Terry models.
(above left: Cardine lamp above right: Terry 1209)
- The base to, also has a slightly different shape. when seen from above it is completely square, whereas the Terry models had a bowed edge square.
(above left: Cardine lamp above right: Terry 1209)
- like the 1208 (but not the 1209) it had five tensioning holes on the upper arm to allow for tensioning the springs.
- It had a large knurled aluminum locking knob at the wrist of the lamp (behind the shade). This is not found on Terry models the ‘wrist’ connector between the upper arm and shade is also a slightly different design.
- This first Cardine Angleppoise was left unpainted apart from its base.
- The Shade was held in place by a different design of tensioner.
- The arms (and connection plates: wrist elbow etc) were made from box section aluminium. While this is found on 1950’s and 60’s Terry lamps their earlier 1930’s and 40’s versions all had steel or copper arms.
- Also the arms have a thinner profile to the steel armed 1208 and 1209.
- The lamp is held in position by another knurled knob at the ‘elbow’.
- The spacer bar on the lower arm just beneath the elbow found on Terry 1208-09 lamps was an improvement to the design, adding stability and as such is not present on this early model. This feature does not appear on the original drawings either.The cable fed from the lamp though the top base and exited at the bottom of the base. This neat method design element was not present on the 1208 or 1209 and would not appear on a Terry Anglepoise for many years.
The Herbert Terry and sons 1208 and 1209 Anglepoise’s:
(Above: 1209 Terry Anglepoise)
The 1208 and 1209 were virtually identical:
- Both the 1208 and 1209 had more rounded shades than the Cardine lamp.
- The 1209 was fully painted, while the 1208 had chromed arms.
- Both had steel arms. (Though on later models these are often aluminium, brass or even copper)
- The first Cardine Anglepoise and the Terry 1208 both have bases with a tall stem which was reduced within a short production period, When the revised 1209 was introduced.
Initially the 1208 and 1209 were virtually identical, the main difference being that the 1208 arms were chromed, while the 1209’s arms were painted*. Later (most likely in the early 1950’s) the models were slightly revised and a short arm version of the1209 became available, it had a 12 inch arm, as opposed to the 18inch arm of the standard 1208 and 1209 (both of which retained the same overall dimensions of Cardine’s original lamp).
The lamps proved to be immensely popular. The high demand led Terry and sons to the idea of producing a version for the domestic market. However they felt that the existing 4 spring designs, while successful were somewhat too industrial for the home. George, collaborating with the designers at Terry and sons, went back to the drawing board. What they came up with was a 3 spring Anglepoise, which, (due to Herbert Terry and sons sequential numbering system for new designs), was designated as the 1227 model. The 1227 was a smaller, simpler and more elegant design than its older brothers. Manufacture commenced in 1935, and sales of the new lamp soon overtook those of the 1208 and 1209. That said the larger 1208 and 1209 had a gained a solid reputation as industrial and architectural lamps and both remained in production for several years.
Like the 1227 the design of the 1208/9 received several subtle changes throughout it’s production. These can be helpful in dating lamps, I;m no expert on these models but hres a brief rundown of things to loo out for ( all of this information was gleaned from the wonderful site at Vintage Anglepoise Lamps)
- The ‘Angkepoise’ stamp is found on the elbow plate of early models where as on later models it was moved to v section at the base of the arm.
- On early models the cast base tends to be quite tall with the cable being routed though it. – On late models the base is much lower (occasionally there is a spacer bar to compensate for this) also the cable does not go though the base.
- The Shade fitting on early models is of a tensioner type, on late models this design was adapted to use a screw.
- On early models the tensioning screw at the elbow is large and easy to use. Like that on the 1227 on later models it was reduced in size and usability.
- Similarly as with the 1227 early models have simple uncapped springs. On later moderls caps with screw adjusters were added.
- Finnaly on later versions there are three spring tensioning holes on the upper arm.
For more detailed information about and photos of the Carwardine lamp, the 1208 and 1209 please check out the wonderful site that is Vintage Anglepoise Lamps
Images on this page are and from:
*www.vintageanglepoiselamps.co.uk ( a great but sadly largely un-operational site)
* This is based on information kindly given by Macstiltskin, gained from a 1935 sales catalogue from Terry’s